The Life and Times of Julie - as narrated by him ;)




This was my first blog post :-)



I was an adorable caramel coloured dog, young, full of life, raring to establish my canine reign, bringing all members of dogkind under my control.

Then I got lost, and found myself in unbelievable wilderness (in the heart of Chennai!). I wandered around for a few days within a huge campus where my companions or rather, predators, were foxes, snakes and poisonous insects. A few harmless mongooses also went about here and there.

Then I discovered a place called Sriram Colony within this Amazonian forest in Chennai (which I found, was called Theosophical Society). There I trotted into the backyard of a big house that was bustling with hullabaloo created by five kids on a summer vacation.

I didnt feel upto being too sociable. I really missed my old human family. But all this wandering had made me very hungry. So I offered one of them a friendly paw.

And what a welcome I got! The girl I made friends with was called Aishu, and she named me Julie (a bit off-putting, considering I was a boy, but I didn't mind much). The kids were excited with their new friend, and petted me and fed me. I faced opposition from a few members of the house, and they even chased me. But I could sense that they were nice people after all, who didn't want to encourage strange dogs.

I tolerated all of it cheerfully, hung on, and wagged my tail as much as possible. One by one, each of them started displaying their affection, in small ways.

I soon settled in well, was given kingly treatment, became famous all over the campus, and was feared for my ferociousness. I will never forget this incident when I chased a suspicious-looking foreigner who was tottering on her bicycle. That made me even more famous, or to be honest, infamous. Yet I was possessive, protective and had deep affection for my family, and they showered overwhelming affection on me.

My visits to the vet involved me being affectionately carried on the lap by  grandma, with grandpa driving. Of course, the place was very unpleasant, but the mollycoddling made me put up with it.

My weekly bath was a special occasion. The verandah would be cleared, a couple of buckets of water and a bar of Lifebuoy (the only choice for keeping dogs healthy!) would be brought out. Then the pandemonium would begin. I would undergo a thorough scrubbing and dousing session, in spite of my continuous physical protests. The kids would have a gala time watching me (though not seriously laughing at me).

I would have a playful revenge (I like the kids... no serious anger for me) by shaking my body vigorously and spraying water all around.

I experienced some frightening moments too, which would call for a dash under the biggest table or bed. These were sometimes during Diwali (but soon they understood my problems and burst the crackers a bit further away), and always, when the big, noisy mosquito repellent dispensing van came.

One of the difficult periods was when one of the naughtiest kids of the lot was around 2 years of age, and was constantly at home. He used to ride me like he was a jockey and would twist my ears. But I didnt take the pain to heart. Mischievous kids will be mischievous.

Gradually all these kids grew up, and I grew older. I started getting out of the house more, and roaming around. Grown-ups like their freedom. But whenever I felt like coming home I would go and take my pride of place in a comfy corner.

Now each of them are studying in college, some are getting married, and familiarising me with their spouses... so it's more family, and with them, more warmth and affection. And now as I am retired, I lie back, basking in their love, happy and content.




  Julie is my dog who has departed to doggy heaven, but still he lives in our hearts, loving us with his big, glowing, caring eyes and actions (he knew in and out about us). God bless his soul.

4 comments:

Titaxy said...

sweet post :)

Raj said...

Nostalgic, it is. I too had one that looked like the one starring in 'The Mask' and unfortunately it was caught by the corporation, while it was roaming on the streets and was never to be found :|

Niranjani Ravi said...

Hey, thanks Titaxy and Raj.

@Raj.. sorry to hear that :(.

Pets are a very special part of life. I miss my doggie a ton. :(

Niranjani Ravi said...

N I may write one soon about another dog :)