Dear Audrey,


You’re one of my favourite actresses. And all it took was two movies. You bowled me over with your portrayal of a young princess in Roman Holiday (1953). Be it regality and elegance or the innocence and charm of a girl who wanted to escape her boring aristocratic life, escaping to the streets of Rome, falling in love and having to let go of it all in a day. It won you the Academy Award! And became the most coveted DVD in my house, after my father bought it and gave it off twice to his friends, after which we went searching for it again. On a recent visit home, I noticed that it was missing again.


Then I spotted Breakfast at Tiffany’s in Odyssey and promptly picked it up, thanking my friend for suggesting that we go there. Again you cast an enchanting web, being funny, yet vulnerable and fleeting.
And of course, made a famous fashion statement. I had even taken a picture of myself seated next to a wax replica of you, straight out of the movie, at Madame Tussaud’s.

I’d like to make a confession. I am deeply envious of your slender figure, the perplexingly (I have to say that!) small waist and elfin charm. You can see how much you’ve influenced me! All of this made me look
you up on Wikipedia.


Then I got to know that cancer had claimed your life.

That made me really sad. You had learned of your condition very late and had lived barely four months after that. I’ve seen cancer up close. People in my family have been cancer victims – my Granny, who, like you, lived for only a little over four months after diagnosis and an aunt, who fought it bravely for 1 ½ years before succumbing to it. All this time, I tried to keep my hopes up and feed encouragement to my family.

Cancer is one of the cruelest things that can happen to man. I fail to comprehend why a bunch of vicious cells would spoil someone’s happiness, making life a struggle, and the treatment may create more suffering than the condition itself. Why can’t people make themselves more aware of the early signs and make an effort to lead a healthy life, so that the repercussions aren’t so severe? As I found, even the smallest ignorant habits (such as skipping your breakfast) may cause major health risks. It’s sad to see that the world appears to be going in that direction of ignorance today. It’s time to turn things around!

Together lets pray for a healthier world, Audrey; for a younger generation that is aware of risks and the negatives of junk food and improper eating habits. Thank you for listening to me.


Your enchanted fan,

Niranjani

2 comments:

Raj said...

:(

I have not seen her movie, but it does pain to hear about another person succumbing to the dreadful disease

A nice tribute to the sparkling actress and I too wish that the world is better place live in, with increased cancer awareness (Feb 4th) & prevention

Niranjani Ravi said...

Thanks Raj

I'm glad I came up with this post just a few days after Cancer Awareness Day.

And u should definitely catch up on Audrey's movies - My Fair Lady is one of her most popular ones, and available pretty commonly in bookstores (even though I still have to buy it - left it behind in favour of Breakfast at Tiffany's).