Dear Husky a.k.a. Bushki,


I hope you’re doing well in your beautiful, fluffy golden abode filled with love. This letter is long overdue. I have missed you tons all these years, sweetie pie!

You made a special difference in my life. You were all mine, “my dog” in every sense, in the two days that you whizzed into my life like a golden whirlwind.

It was in the month of May, 12 years back, on my cousin’s birthday. We noticed you lying in a sheltered place in our courtyard. You had a red rag around your neck – a gorgeous golden retriever growling back at us when we tried to make friends with you.

We wouldn’t give up. We threw out pieces of bread to you from the window, and you slowly came around. By evening, you were at the verandah, wagging your tail and jumping up to catch the biscuits we threw in the air. I had come up with a name for you – Husky – I know that’s another dog breed – but still, the name seemed right for you – because it sounded as cute as you. My cousin said that you should be called Bushki ;-).

We went back to the hall, and you stuck your head into the window, eyes shining, making sounds of pleasure as I stroked your head. We noticed that you drooled excessively, and wondered if your owners had decided to abandon you because you were not well (there still are people like that, Husky. In fact their number has only increased.)

Then granny tried to chase you away, but you went deep into the bushes and came right back in front of them when she moved away. This continued for about 10 minutes, after which she gave up.

That night, you wailed and yapped from the backyard, demanding to be let inside. Then you came around to the verandah and proceeded to scratch the net covered door, successfully tearing away a portion of the net.

The next morning, as me and I parents came outside you came running from the side of the house, joyfully leaped at me and licked my face.

The ice was broken with the family. You proudly took residence on the verandah. I went for driving class and you trotted along all the way to the compound gate. Then my cousin told me that you growled at him when he tried to call you back, and that you liked me the most. I did feel proud ;-). Once you even trotted into the hall and stretched out, looking into the dining room, without caring if someone was going to chase you out, feeling as comfortable as you would have in your old home.

That evening, I rode my cycle, and you ran all the way along, your enthusiasm not bogging down the slightest bit. Those moments were special.

Then Grandpa insisted that you had to be left at an animal dispensary attached to our campus, in spite of continuous protests from us. He put his foot down. We felt really sad as we took you to the dispensary, with you bounding down the road energetically, dragging us behind.

We came to visit you in day or two. You seemed tired and did not get up, but joyfully wagged your tail as we called out your name.

We visited you again a few days later. But shocking news awaited us. You had passed away from what one of the pet caretakers claimed was Tetanus. I had tears in my eyes, Husky.

During your last days, you managed to people who loved you and Husky, those days were equally special for me. I am glad that I found you that summer and brought happiness into your life. Rest in peace in doggie heaven, Husky. I’m sure it’s filled with love and happiness.

Woof woof!

No comments: