The Penny Pincher's Guide to Chocolate Shopping

Chocolaty treats can cost the world. A sundae at Sandy’s Chocolab sets you back by Rs. 200 (so enjoy it occasionally), the smallest available pack of Hershey’s Kisses costs Rs. 250 (noted during innumerable visits to Amma Naana), Pepperidge Farm chocolate cookies cost Rs. 195 – and they’re not even that great, as I discovered when I asked my cousin to get them from the US.

So, how can you scrimp on them and still satisfy your cravings? You can actually buy small treats ranging from ten to twenty five bucks and get more of them, adding variety to your chocolate diet. Here goes the list:

Treat-O Cookies: Britannia’s answer to Oreo, by the cookie’s appearance and name. But I found it way yummier than the Oreos I bought (I licked the cream and dumped the biscuits – but after trying to eat them). Chocolate flavour’s better than vanilla.
Price: Rs. 10

Mini Mars Bar:
A low-guilt treat that’s worth every penny. Gooey, chewy, chocolaty and superior taste-wise to its competitors.
Price: Rs. 20

Choco-Hazelnut cream mini treats – I think these are imported from the Middle East or something. They’re available in bubble packs (like those single-use jam packs). There’s one that’s shaped like a heart and has exact half-half white and brown choco cream. Irresistible, and fun indulgence for the kid in you.
Price: Rs. 5

Kinder Wafer Bars – Chocolate coated wafer bars filled with milk & hazelnut paste.An anytime treat.
Price: Rs. 25

Lotus Chocolate Bar – Warning: I haven’t tasted it. But it costs only 10 bucks.

There is more stuff, that I’ll have to add to this list. You can get these at Brown Tree or Amma Naana. I wish you many happy chocolaty days ahead!

5 comments:

Raj said...

Not sure if you have tried these Cadbury's Twirl & Flakes ? Available in UK and the major airports (esp Dubai)

How about Dark chocolates ?

Niranjani Ravi said...

Amul dark chocolate comes at 15 bucks or something :-D

Raj said...

Nah, I was asking if you like Dark chocolates. In fact, the darker the better and I have gone up to 70% cocoa

Niranjani Ravi said...

I haven't really looked at the percentage of cocoa

Usually I like dark chox with a twist - like Lindt's dc with sea salt (but not available here).

I like Ferrero Roudnoir though :-)

Red Handed said...

Now you get the mini packets of hazelnut spread...like a one time use jam pack. Just 1O bucks