I cut my hair in a short bob last May. Now it has grown to chin level. My mom’s fretting about my hair not growing fast (I am also losing a lot of hair these days). She is particularly worried if my hair will seem too short when ponnupathufying happens. So is an aunty who is close to my family. And the aunty has already told me about 20 times what kind of clip I can wear to make my hair look beautiful when it grows longer. My ears are sore.

My mom has an imagined reason for her worry – the fact is that she is worrying, so I will not react if she scolds me for having cut my hair short. (She didn’t like the bob, and yes, she still scolds me!) But is the length of hair a criterion for marriage? Of course it isn’t. But why do people hold it as a major criterion for attractiveness?

And while on the subject of Maplai/ponnu pathufying…

There is a photo of me in which I look like an aunty. I am wearing an oversized ethnic kurta with a pearl necklace. It was taken for sending to potential maplais. And of course my folks (and some others in their age group) believe that I look beautiful in that photo. Yeah? I also look 30 years old in it!

That’s enough cribbing on the subject for now I guess…

3 comments:

Anil Sawan said...

niroo, of course the length of the hair is also a criterion for marriage.. it comes along with physical looks.. agree with me when I say that physical looks sure do play a major role in arranged marriages. you definitely cant judge someone by their nature of habits in one day! for many longer hair is a turn on.. maybe your mom has a reason to worry :-) but ofcourse if you aint comfortable with longer hairs, its better u marry someone who likes bob cut.. now a days divorces happen for the silliest reason. last week in TOI i read an article on divorces and someone wrote that a guy gave divorce cos his wife got pimples! what a reason!

Natarajamani said...

my friend,
the reason you cut your hair is it changes the looks. its the natural crown for a everyone. so let it grow.

and as a male i would suggest you to have a good healthy long hair since maplais like that a lot!
:)

Karthik said...

Hope u grow ur hair before 2009 maapilai pathufying year!!!