Kolkata,
7.6.2008

Why on earth didn’t I travel alone all these days?

That’s what I thought when I discovered the pleasures of traveling alone. My parents are very protective of me, more so because I am an only child. My bhai, my Dad’s friend’s son was to spend about a month of his holidays with his parents in Kolkata and wanted me to come. After some dilly dallying, I made the decision to take a trip. My Dad was ready to send me, and I was happy. However, for my mom the decision was an enormous surprise. I guess she didn’t expect me to actually go. But she accepted the decision.

When I was about to leave for the airport, my dad actually rang up thrice, and called me a number of times during the trip as well. He would send me but was so concerned about me!

The trip is turning out to be a great experience. The planning was thoroughly enjoyable – right from the itinerary to purchase of gifts to spending, and I felt much more capable in planning a trip. I felt more responsible for my work, and for household chores at my Dad’s friend’s house. I was also making note of how much I spent, and bought meaningful gifts for others.

Even though I am staying with someone else, being pampered a bit, and well cared for, the sense of responsibility has never left me. I hope to travel alone often.

No comments: