Day 5: Religion. And Ridiculous Rituals.

Today we went to Dakshineshwar – where Ramakrishna Paramahamsa worshipped Kali. Dakshineshwar is located on the banks of the Ganga. The downside of the visit was that we were only allowed a side view of Kali, from outside a window. Did we come all the way to the place only for that?

Anyway the upside was truly wonderful. There were 12 small mandirs housing Shivalingas. We went to 3, and I touched all the Lingas, like the people there did. Now, can one do that at all in temples in the South?

We proceeded to Belur Mutt, which is also located on the banks of the Ganga. Founded by Vivekananda in 1897, it also houses the headquarters of the Ramakrishna Mutt and Ramakrishna Mission. A very peaceful place, spread across acres of greenery.

Then we went to the Kalighat temple in Kolkata, which I decided never to visit again. For, the gruesome sight of goat intestines greeted me inside the complex. Goats were being ‘sacrificed’! Many of you can say that this cannibalistic ritual is followed in many places in India, but it’s still terrible. I must admit, I use leather and don’t know what goes into it. Curse me. But I can’t stand the sight of animals being killed. And to think that the Kalighat temple is the most popular one in Kolkata and thousands of people come everyday. Well, as I said, I’ll never go again. The reason why I am even talking about it is because it’s high time people discontinued the ritual.

No comments: