A blast of Mexican Mariachi Masala



I know this is a super late review of a much loved movie; but I managed to lay my hands on Desperado only recently (after watching a part of the grainy Youtube version and a part of it late at night on Pix, on a weekday). I felt that Desperado deserved an umpteenth review from a Banderas fan (after The Mask of Zorro).

Everything is fascinating about Desperado – beginning with Antonio Banderas and his eyes, of course. And the title song is fantastic – which has already been lifted by a Tamil composer, and in other languages as well, I hear.

Then the action begins. Banderas stuffs the insides of his guitar with a powerful guns and bullets & goes on shootout fests in a quest to find Buccho, who killed his lover. It is a treat to watch him enter two bars and perform his murderous Mariachi act. Pools of blood are almost casually mopped off the floors.

Banderas encounters Carolina (Salma Hayek) who saves his life. And later her bookstore burns down & it is Banderas’ turn to take care of her. I don’t have to describe how beautiful Hayek is – from her smile to the curls to the voluptuous, sexy figure.

More guns come out, more bullets fly, even throw-knives and a bulletproof limousine in which the villain’s guys drive around - reminds me of dadas in Tamil movies. The villain too, shoots whoever he pleases to.

The climax truly befits this masala mix. Mariachi calls two of his friends and asks him to bring their guitar cases. And when the villain’s henchmen come, declares war – “Lets play!” And it’s like a pucca Tamil masala movie, with the guys shooting mini-missiles (are they?) through holes at the both ends of the guitar cases. And it’s all bam, bam, bam, bam… true blue Mexican Masala.

Now I know why men watch so much action, though I prefer the Banderas kind. And yes, Banderas is like my local cine thalaivars. Yet, several degrees hotter than them. Love you, Mirchi Mariachi!

No comments: