Food is yummier when shared :-)


There were many days when I went to restaurants all alone (lunchtime – most of my colleagues brought lunch, and I didn’t fancy going to Saravana Bhavan and Sangeeta and be sandwiched amidst men of all builds tucking into hefty lunches). I’d seat myself in a comfy nook in Pizza Corner, overlooking Indian Bank (the view grows on you – quiet and old worldly :-P) and order their tomato-mushroom pasta which is pretty decent and occasionally tomato soup or a brownie. I’d browse through an FHM (yeah!) or Stardust (which we used to subscribe in office) during the never ending wait for the super slow waiter, who was occasionally treated to a few words using an “on the verge of an explosion but trying to be polite” tone of voice. Lunching alone was actually fun (as opposed to what most people think) and when people stared at me, I could stare back in a queenly, demeaning manner. On that note, Eatalica is also a pretty good place to eat – but only for their lasagna. Carnival’s (Alwarpet) humble Chinese, pav bhaji and cakes (bliss!) are yummy too.

Then I stopped having lunch at restos so often and even eating out often. Outside food slowly translated to chocolaty treats at the likes of Coffee Day and Sandy’s Chocolab. On these occasions, I met up with some fellow chocolate lovers, especially with a friend N, who is possibly an even bigger chocoholic than me (shudder!!).

One day we had Belgian Chocolate Drink at Coffee World (simply fantawantabulous) but decided that was not enough of a treat; so we headed to Sandy’s, which is a stone’s throw away and had waffles & pancakes (shared!). Plus, N had a dark chocolate cake. Then we waddled out with ecstatic grins on our faces. Many more such experiences stay fresh in my mind J (and thanks to all the wonderful people who shared them with me!).

Recently, I had a fun day, which was filled with “eating out” experiences. I’d come down to my Mom’s place that day. And took the opportunity to meet a friend who works at Ascendas. Could spend only a little over half an hour with her, but it was fun. I had a Pizza Hut simple veggie at the food court, and boy, it was yummy! This place has got its formula right! Usually I find myself longing for some (any) good old Iyer-style food after a pizza – the latter never really satisfied me (except the original Italian pizza I had in Rome - fabulous!) till the Ascendas lunch. In fact I remember a time - when I think I put off someone completely, mentioning that I had curd rice for breakfast, lunching on pizza together, wasting half of it and going home, having curd rice, and mentioning the same to the person (Arrgghh! But I still can’t believe I had it for breakfast – I haven’t been doing that for quite a long time, thankfully.) I’ve shed that reputation, I believe.

Coming back to the lunch with my friend – I also shared her falooda – it was so yummy… the perfect drink for a hot afternoon, and sharing it with a friend was lovely. What a difference that makes, even if you can spend only half an hour together!

I also bought a chocolate cake from Pizza Hut (which, unfortunately, I didn't have room for) and a brownie from the French Loaf bakery there (the one near my Mom’s house doesn’t sell those anymore L and now I live far, far away from French Loaf, so I had to utilize the opportunity). These two were nestling in a bag, waiting to be eaten on consecutive days. But my cousin came that evening and I shared those with him (exactly half-half as it always is with chocolaty stuff… he he). They were simply yummy – the brownie laden with satisfyingly chunky walnut pieces and topped with a thick layer of chocolate, the choco cake with yummy choco chips.

That day, I also spent quality time with my Mom and went with her to Fruit Shop on Greams Road (in Besant Nagar – after a long time). I had a Walnut Twist, and she, a vanilla milkshake. We shared quite a lot of it. It was simply delicious and super special J. My Mom became a big fan of the Fruit Shop experience. Fruit Shop remains one of the best places around, in spite of a barrage of Baristas and Coffee Days. Nothing like a refreshing drink on a hot day or a sultry evening. Plus, decent pricing and satisfying taste. Two thumbs up!

Maybe my horoscope for the day said that I’d share food with people or something… :-D. Such days are a delight for the foodie (or rather, chocolaty ;-) that I am). I am waiting for more of those experiences. And it was just as blissful writing this blog entry & sharing it with you!

4 comments:

Alin said...

u shud try this dessert in pizza hut. its quite simple, a warm bed of chocolate chip cookie in a pan and two scoops of vanilla icecream. u can ask them to substitute that with choco ice cream. simple but pure bliss. needless to say, i miss it :)

Niranjani Ravi said...

yeah, you told me abt that :).. but this outlet had only 1 dessert :(

btw, there's this place cald Gloria Jean's Coffee that has this huge choco chip cookie (that must be the size of the one in Pizza Hut - I've seen tht dessert in an ad). And everything else is huge in Gloria J - from the donuts to the croissants hehe.

notgogol said...

Madam, this is not a post. This is a gourmet orgasm, a gourmasm!

Niranjani Ravi said...

@NG

Thank u.. heheh. Do check out the other food posts on my blog (n I am a big time chocoholic) - I hope u get more gourmasms.
And am waiting for your next post.