Enthiran - The showman rises. The director fails.


I really had to watch Enthiran, because I could not miss what so many people were going to watch.
Certain parts were simply awesome. The robot dancing (not in the songs), Rajni as a villain (He does a great job! Especially when he imitates a sheep – I wanted to sit up and clap, then! I want to watch each one of his early movies as a villain).

The first 30 minutes of the 2nd half is the best part of the movie. Emotions are programmed into the robot and he behaves almost like an ordinary guy and here’s where you really warm up to Chitti. I loved his dance with Aishwarya, the scene in the defence academy, among other scenes. They make the character seem so real that you come close to sharing the emotions of the others when he dismantles himself in the end.

However, there are many minuses, which can usually be overlooked in Shankar’s films, but are glaring here. Scenes are about acting and interesting dialogues; they should not be built around simple concepts and modern sets – that is not enough! The first half passed by in a flash, but it didn’t have any substance. An ordinary intro for Aishwarya (who is pleasant in this film and a relief from boredom). A hair cutting scene that hardly involves any acting and bores you to death. An entire 3 minute scene just to show that the robot can read books in seconds?

Also, there is an overdose of graphics. The graphics bit with an army of Rajnis forming spheres, snakes, screws and blah goes on & on. And the good 10 minutes that follow. Arrggh…

The songs are a redeeming feature (obviously!). They’re an opportunity for the human Rajni to come out of the background (he doesn’t leave much of an impact). I loved Kaadhal Anukkal and Kilimanjaro.

When you leave the theatre, Chitti is sure to remain in your mind for long. But not the rest of the film. It is sacrificed for the sake of Chitti and graphics. If only Shankar had put a little more into this, in the three years of its making, rather than hyping special effects and budget, Enthiran would’ve been a complete entertainer.

7 comments:

Alin said...

hi! watched enthiran, gonna watch again this evening :P

You are so right about the villain rajni. He acts best as the villain (remember chandramukhi among the more recent ones). as chitti with the 'red chip' (!) he was a treat!

all his best performances where negative characters, 16 vayadhinile is my favourite.

Niranjani Ravi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Niranjani Ravi said...

2 times!!
loyal fan u are,

But yeah, many people did find the movie v good and there are reasons. There are aspects that do appeal to different audiences.

And I have 16 Vayathinile on a dvd. gotta watch it :)

notgogol said...

I think I've come here before. Have I? Maybe I have - your friend from 3 comments above is the link perhaps.

Anyways, point being - nice unpretentious, I-say-it-as-I-see-it blog. But still, how can you be so many things at one time?

And eating how much chocolate is too much chocolate.

Niranjani Ravi said...

Hey, thanks for that comment.

This review satisfied me. I felt I managed to review Enthiran fairly, instead of being carried away by stuff like the graphics in it.

About your second comment -
No amount of chocolate is too much chocolate, hehee... except when you have to visit the dentist, and that situation didn't happen to me (touch wood).

Anonymous said...

Thanks, has left to read.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.