24.10.2008

‘Jab se tere naina… Mere nainon se… laage re…’ I sing as I undergo a new experience. I don’t remember having had such an experience at any point in my life. I feel that I have renounced anger to a large extent. I think… ‘I should take life as it comes… this too shall pass’, as water swishes six inches below my knee.

I am in Waterworld… err… Monsoon Velachery, and I have become a hermit for the evening.

My street is flooded. I hear it has knee deep water. My house too has apparently become Waterworld, with one bedroom and the kitchen left dry. I am writing this in my Dad’s friend’s house on the next street. My father called me in the evening, explained the situation and instructed me to go there. After sometime he called again and asked me to go to my Grandpa’s house in Besant Nagar instead. I headed to Velachery anyway. My mom went to my Grandpa’s house for the night.

Dad is examining our house. He is doing a survey that reminds me of ministers surveying flooded areas – but there’s the obvious difference.

Dad spent the night in our house, in the only dry room, before which the situation was normalised to an extent – cloths were soaked in the water, and squeezed into buckets, water was removed with mugs and buckets.

25.10.2008

Our house was water free, and the maid mopped the floor using Dettol mixed with water. Our street is still flooded – the water’s draining, but taking its own sweet time.

26.10.2008

Most of the water in the street has drained out. Yay. It also hasn’t rained after Friday.

4 comments:

Jagjit said...

hey, just stumbled upon ur blog. nice one!

Anil Sawan said...

chennai mein floods????????

Karthik said...

We all expect when it rain n Chennai and when it does, makes us to think Y does?? Erratic monsoon!!!

Poorna said...

"My house too has apparently become Waterworld, with one bedroom and the kitchen left dry"

you mean water came inside your house?