Vandi Koothu… Periya Koothu

I have a Merc on two wheels… err… mistake… it’s a Honda Activa. During the times when I rode it on a half empty road in an ebullient mood, I almost felt as if I was gliding. It’s been nearly two years since it entered my life. It’s my baby. The only problem was that I didn’t care enough for it – I just wiped it if I noticed layers of dust on it, and it would be sent for service at the recommended intervals (always, my father would do it, or the two of us would go together).

After we moved to Velachery, from Besant Nagar, I started going to office by MRTS train, and took out the Activa on weekends (taking it to the station (which is 7 min away) everyday doesn’t really count). Dad told me not to venture out into any of the main roads in Velachery, except when there’s very little traffic (Sunday mornings? Late nights? Midnights? The wee hours of the morning?). One Sunday, I went to Sathyam Cinemas, and my Dad assumed I was taking a train, and then taking an auto. Only after I came back I told him that I’d taken the Activa. Needless to say, he got angry. I explained to him that just driving to and fro the station by bike will not prepare me for facing unfathomable traffic jams.

And yesterday being Saturday, I had some plans. I’d just got an expenditure-inducing sum of money – 3 grand at one go is a big deal for the shopaholic-trying-to-undergo-self-induced-rehab that I am. It could’ve made me break my resolution, but I restrained myself, and decided to blow the money purposefully. Of course, I didn’t tell Dad that I was taking the Activa. I took the road which my Dad had continually warned me not to take, remembering a route through which I had come with my family once. I made my way to Kodambakkam through Guindy, Saidapet and Teynampet.

Now the bike comes into the story once again. The traffic wasn’t bad. I could manage. So I went happily. But after 15 min, at a point where I had to slow down, the engine came to a halt by itself. It was near Saidapet – right before I reached Mount Road. The breadth of the road was packed with vehicles. With considerable willpower, I took my bike to the corner of the road, and tried to start it – first with the kick starter and then with the self start button. After a few mins, the engine came back to life. Off I went again.

And did I mention? Three days back, my bike got soaked in rain. The horn got stuck every time I pressed it, and to stop the sound, I had to pull the horn button. A day later, the self starter began makkarpannufying. The bike stopped thrice on the way to the station in the morning. That evening, however, the self starter seemed ok, so I happily, and a bit daringly made my plans.

Now, back to Mount Road. 10 minutes after the Activa’s engine was resuscitated, it lost its breath again. In the midst of a bunch of 2-wheelers, cycles, and autos. And a couple of traffic policemen by the roadside. It took me 5 mins to start the bike again.

Bike dear stopped about 6 times thereafter. During the bits of drama, I had traveled through Kodambakkam, Nungambakkam, and to Greams Road. (I don’t know where I found the ability to stay calm through it all. Thank God, this didn’t happen a year back.) Then, in the parking lot of Cool Club it almost gave up completely. I wondered if the engine had gone to heaven. After trying to start the bike for some 15 min, I called my father and told the truth, and that I was stuck. My Dad obviously exploded in anger. He asked me to push the bike to Didar Motors on Mount Road. I was already bushed by then, and a lunch with friends was to happen within an hour. I asked the watchman of Cool Club if there was a mechanic shop nearby. When he said it was down that very road, I thought I got lucky. I brought the mechanic to cure my baby. After I explained the illness to him in detail, he said that the cause was a battery problem, and that I would have to get the battery recharged. He told me that however, I could kick start my bike, and, smiling at my weak attempts at it, started the bike with a hard kick. Yay, yippee! Engine came back to life.

The mechanic left, and the engine gave up again. Argghhhh!
I had a good go at the kick starter. And Hooray, bike started.

I planned to leave the bike in my office in Abiramapuram, and then go for lunch. I sped off from Greams Road, with a lot of worry, honking and speeding.
And the bike stopped 2 more times in Nungambakkam!

Some good Samaritans kick started the bike for me. After the engine got a new lease of life near The Park Hotel, I made my way to Abiramapuram, praying for smoothly moving traffic and green signals. I made it to office without a problem, and thanked God profusely.

I finished lunch at Pizza Corner, went to an aunty’s house nearby, recounted the story in part for her, while thoongivazhinjufying. I grabbed 10 min of sleep there. I came out, found a mechanic shop nearby and got his card, so that he could come to my office on Monday, give a second opinion, or repair my bike.

Whew… what a day it was! But I’d been an ass for ignoring the problem when it started. So tomorrow I am going to give my bike some tender loving care. And care for it better in the future. Thank you bike, and God for the little lesson.

1 comment:

Alin said...

same here, i just a good lesson abt biking too, u dont love it, it has no mercy for you.