A Book to Remember

I really should’ve read the book before – A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks. There was a time when my cousin used to read lots of Nicholas Sparks books and I never tried reading them then. And later I got bored of romance and mush. When I took the book from my library I thought I would probably get bored halfway.

It didn’t elicit yawns. Rather it brought out tears. I haven’t ever cried three times while reading a book. I don’t know if I am too sappy, but A Walk to Remember was really touching and beautiful.

It was about a rich boy falling in love with the local priest’s daughter – something he never dreamed he would do. She is most of the time plainly dressed with her hair in a bun and isn’t an attractive girl, but a beautiful person. Someone who prays for good things to happen to everyone, helps anyone in need, often spends time with kids at an orphanage, collecting money for charity and all such things. He always thinks of her as a good person. When the unexpected finally happens – when they fall in love – it brings out the beautiful side in him.

He spends time with her, reads the bible with her, visits orphans… while suddenly she reveals to him something shocking - she is dying of leukaemia.

He is devastated. And as she gets sicker and sicker, he starts praying for a miracle. Then one day, the voice of God seems to tell him something – that there is one thing he must do for her happiness – marry her.

She accepts his proposal. He then convinces his parents and her father. Their wedding is one she always dreamed of – in a church bursting with people.

Then there is a twist in the end. One that puts this book ahead of many books. One that is even more special than the rest of this book. The marriage is a miracle that saves her life. That is why God spoke to him.

Experience the book yourself. It is beautiful and unputdownable. Now I have borrowed my second Nicholas Sparks book – The Choice. Hope it matches up to A Walk to Remember.

2 comments:

Alin said...

hmm, I am going to add this to my list of 'read before you die' books

Was hoping you would write more about ur overseas tour!

Niranjani Ravi said...

yeah.. I should write about my Euro tour.. actually started writing abt it in a notebook during the trip, but couldn't find the time later, as the trip got super hectic.. lots to recollect :D..