A Peek into Office Behaviour (and some Advice) - 1

This article is mainly for men – a major part of it is about the impact certain types of male behaviour has on female colleagues. Hope you have the patience to read through it. It’ll help you a lot, and save you from trouble.

- Know what is flirtatious behaviour, and what is beyond that. If you don’t like to flirt, great. Stay like that (Unfortunately, if you’re extremely hunky and a good natured person, she may fall for you. So, don’t show interest at any point.)

- Don’t come smelling and looking like you’ve just woken up after hitting the sack after a tired, very sweaty day.

- Don’t wear unwashed clothes.

- If you stare at a woman, she is most likely to notice it. And tell it to a couple of people, at some point. And they’ll start saying things about you (unless she is interested in you).

- Don’t stare / flirt / try to show your interest, if the girl is clearly above your standards (I have to be rude here). Things will definitely go downhill then. Take my word for it. And she’s sure to call you names under her breath.

- When a girl gets friendly with you, and clearly wants to be only friends, DON’T pass comments on her clothes and appearance or say things that indicate romantic interest / flirtatiousness (when anything that you want to say seems like that to you, don’t utter the words). It will reveal your other side, and she will surely dislike you.

- Don’t say gross things like “I will go pee and come” in a loud voice to your male colleagues (my ex-colleague did) in the presence of a female colleague. Do I even have to say what she will think of you?

- Don't burp loudly, or sneeze without covering your mouth


To be Continued

6 comments:

Meena said...

yes... and unwanted questions about "hey do u have a boyfriend?" "ungalukku kalyaanam aacha?" "yen innum aagala??"
crazy.
but if u get close, as a friend to the girl... i dont see anything wrong in getting a chair to sit beside her in lunch...
but it requires a greater degree
of closeness to comment about her looks. men dont understand these things. agreed. :)

Anonymous said...

"Don’t stare / flirt / try to show your interest, if the girl is clearly above your standards (I have to be rude here). Things will definitely go downhill then. Take my word for it. And she’s sure to call you names under her breath."
Wow. We have a snob here.
Advice to blogging women: Don't be a snob. Guys will hate you
- Arjun
P.S.: I really don't intend giving advice on anything to anyone - just commented to express opinion that would be in line with the thought process behind this post. :P

Anonymous said...

also, i don't see why this is all directed at guys? why can't it be a little more generic than that? isn't the same expected from women as well? or are they allowed to flirt, blah blah? or is that for a guy to blog about?
@valerie:"hey do u have a boyfriend?" "ungalukku kalyaanam aacha?" "yen innum aagala??"
I've got that from women (change boyfriend to girlfriend). And obviously guys too don't want girls asking them these stupid or personal questions as well.
Some people take more liberties with their colleagues or maybe think its a way of signaling interest(silly way really!).
I think you just ought to quit complaining about these and start accepting people for what they are. If you have a specific problem with someone who is bothering you, talk to them. Blogs and comments can't make things clearer than transparent and honest communication.

Niranjani Ravi said...

Hi Anonymous,
1. I didn't say this post is Only for Men
I said it is Mainly for men

2. If you have something similar to say to women, go ahead. Post it as a comment here so I can read it. I am looking forward to reading it.

3. Transparent communication may not always work. It can possibly make things worse. Why take such a risk with an office colleague - a person with whom you have to work everyday?

4. "Don’t stare / flirt / try to show your interest, if the girl is clearly above your standards (I have to be rude here). Things will definitely go downhill then. Take my word for it. And she’s sure to call you names under her breath."

I am not being snobbish. That kind of behaviour can lead to a problem - I am being practical.

And I am not done with writing on Office Manners. I can write plenty more. But I wrote what came first to my mind in this article. Because I am tired of irritating male behaviour. And as a woman I am writing what I know, and what I can, from my perspective. Your comments are welcome,.

Natarajamani said...

hi,
i agree in part. when someone is coming to the office, whether its male or female, everybody needs to be so neat. and i believe in these days, everybody wants to look good and get noticed.
but there are circumstances where you slog out like anything and coming back to office after the meeting or some hectic field execution, you cant expect some one to be fresh, but he/she can refresh.

otherwise i agree on other points that are mentioned and noted as a male employee.

when it comes to friendship, i dont see a great difference between friendship between common sex and opposite sex. it all depends on the comfort level among each other and the attitude.

as far as i am concerned, everything is about the way we look at it, and that is called attitude.

Anonymous said...

@Valerie

Thanks for your comment. You have a point. And I deleted the related point in the article. :-).

@Natarajamani

Thanks for your straight unbiased review.:-)