I have a Nokia 7500 Prism – a uniquely designed phone that caught my attention the moment I saw the ad for it. I was advised to buy an N Series phone, but decided to settle for the 7500 Prism because it’s features were more or less similar to the N Series models, and it doesn’t look like a ‘man’s phone’.

I don’t know how good my phone is considered by tech-freaks, but I like it, and make good use of the camera and MP3 player. The camera delivers good picture quality, except when the zoom is used. The photos look good when uploaded on the computer. That’s fine with me.

But my favourite part of the phone is the MP3 player. I don’t know whether it’s good enough or not, but I listen to music on the phone a lot, and I’ve stored around 90 songs – full capacity. I also change the songs whenever I want.

And here’s the best thing about the phone:

The MP3 player classifies the songs into ‘Pop’, ‘Rock’, ‘Blues’ etc. My Creative MP3 player also does that. Maybe your MP3 player does that too. And maybe every MP3 player – I don’t know, because as you would have gathered, I am not a gadget nut.

Though I am crazy about music, I just listen to whatever appeals to me, usually after I hear it somewhere. I don’t go searching for albums. I can identify songs belonging only to genres like pop, rock, rap and classical, which anyone can do. I don’t enjoy Pink Floyd, except for that Another Brick in the Wall’ song, because I like racy, catchy yet well composed Western songs. I also like some slow songs. I hardly bother about the lyrics in Western songs. Genres like Blues and Country are alien to me, and if I hear them once in a while the tunes usually don’t go down well with me. People I know rave about them, and I wonder if I have to explore more.

However, I love Tamil Music, even slow songs sometimes. And I am floored by ‘Kanmani Anbodu Kadhalan’ every time I listen to it. I had stored the song in my mobile phone, and guess what category the song was classified under – Blues! Now that’s an exciting discovery for me – the smallest things that delight you create special moments too. So, that song was really nice. Blues with a touch of Indian classical music, I guess.

By the way, ‘Ponmagal Vanthal’ (Azhagiya Tamizh Magan) belongs to a genre called ‘Blue’. I was hooked to that song for quite some time. Robert Miles’s ‘Children’ (instrumental) is classified under New Age. Interesting!

It’ll surely take me a long time to discover Country, Jazz etc. But how does taking the long road matter when I listen to songs that complement my mood, or make me euphoric? After all, the purpose of listening to music is deriving happiness and peace.

No comments: